Rifco has made a commitment to delivering a structured pathway of support for British Asian and South Asian artists and creatives called Rifco Associates.
Rifco Associates is a two-year rolling programme of support for artists in early stages of their career and mid-career. This structured programme of support is about opening up access to a wider range of people working in theatre and celebrating the voices of British Asian contemporary artists both on the stage and behind the scenes.
There is a bespoke approach to each Associate through a programme of small commissions, workshops and peer-to-peer mentoring.
The Rifco Associates programme is structured as Year One and Year Two with an initial one-year commitment to up to six artists. A proportion of Associates are then supported for a second year:
- Initial meeting to discuss ideas and identify where each Associate needs guidance
- Associates are granted a seed commission of £500 to research and develop a new idea
- An industry mentor acts as a Critical Friend to each Associate with two progress meetings to support realising ideas, signposting other resources and organisations and critiquing the artistic process
- Providing a platform event for Associate to share initial ideas with each other, a mentor and a carefully selected group of industry peers
- Two Associate Learn & Share Days providing the opportunity to skill share
- Advice from Rifco staff team in a range of arts management topics
- Meeting to discuss initial seed commission and identify next steps
- Bespoke Support Plan developed with budget
- An Industry mentor to act as a Critical Friend, which may be the same as Year One. Two progress meetings to support Associates including critiquing artistic process
- Provide an opportunity for Associates to show their work to a wider audience and the wider industry if appropriate
- Rifco team to provide signposts to ensure that Associates have a solid pathway into the wider industry
Rifco Associates in their second year are:
Ameet Chana - Director
Sukh Ojla - Playwright
“I think the biggest challenge for me is the fact that there are not enough professional / creative outlets for people of BAME backgrounds. I am going on to Year Two to direct a small studio piece and the experience of handling text, actors, dealing with creatives such as lighting and set designers will prepare me for a move to bigger spaces.” Ameet Chana, Year Two Associate 2016-17
“I now feel confident about seeking out feedback from industry practitioners to inform my work in the future.” Amarjit Bassan, Year One Associate 2015-16
“It was amazing to showcase my work in front of an audience. Thank you Rifco!" Jessica Andrade, Year One Associate 2015-16
“It was hugely useful to get feedback on my work from Pravesh Kumar. It made a real difference to me as a writer.” Sukh Ojla, Year Two Associate 2016-17
If you would like to find out more about the Rifco Associates Scheme please email: [email protected]
Find out more about the the artists we are working with and their work on the Rifco Associates Blog: rifcoassociates.blogspot.co.uk